IT Services For Law Offices: Legal IT Support
In the fast-paced and detail-oriented world of lawyers, and legal services, the role of specialized IT support by experts cannot be overstated. IT services for law offices go beyond mere technical assistance; they ensure confidentiality, efficiency, and security that legal professionals depend on daily.
As a CIO and CISO with extensive experience in the B2B IT and MSP industry, I’ve seen firsthand the transformative impact of tailored IT solutions on legal practices. This article dives into the critical aspects of legal IT support, from data protection and compliance to innovative technologies.
With having worked with Torys LLP while I first started my career and interest in technology, I gained a very high-level appreciation for how lawyers work, function, and what they expect from their technology. Working alongside lawyers for my first years of tech, has given me a very unique understanding of law firms.
Understanding the background of IT Services For Law Offices
In my opinion, over the last two decades, the fundamental needs for IT support management in the legal field have remained unchanged. Lawyers consistently seek rapid and efficient access to expert advice that feels personal. They demand a high degree of trust, expecting their IT services to mirror the professionalism inherent to their work.
Lawyers like a like-for-like mentality when it comes to professionalism and expertise. Here is what we focus on at Selenium Group of Companies when it comes to the management of law firm IT services:
- Trust that we know how to manage issues properly and efficiently.
- Instant available at any notice, without delay, to manage technical issues, especially with practice management applications or email services.
- Efficiently being able to manage challenges the first time. As time is very valuable to lawyers.
Let’s take a deeper dive into the complexities and requirements of lawyers outsourcing their IT solutions and services to third-party MSPs (Managed Service Providers) like Selenium Group of Companies.
The Role of Custom IT Solutions in Legal Practice Efficiency
Leveraging my experience, I discuss how tailored IT solutions can streamline operations in law offices, enhancing lawyer productivity. We love working with lawyers due to their high expectations.
When it comes to how lawyers deal with their clients, they expect the same results when it comes to technology and technology support. Lawyers move fast, act fast, and resolve problems one at a time, and then move on.
That’s where and why efficiencies are critical. Here is a brief list of how we customize the IT solution for every law firm.
- We look at the number of lawyers, law clerks, and administrative staff within your firm to ensure we have the right amount of coverage hours per month.
- We then ensure we have the right resources in place so they can be available for you, your law partners, and legal support staff.
- We look at your current IT environment and gather some history in respect to where your problems have been, and which technology, and we address specific weaknesses.
- We look at your technology services including your legal practice management solutions like Worldox, Cosmolex, NetDocuments, SharePoint, etc. Let’s make sure they’re all working as expected.
- We look at your overall IT costs and third-party vendors to make sure you’re not paying for something you don’t need while missing something you do. This is a very common problem in firms that we have taken over support.
- We tackle your BCP plan, cybersecurity incident response plan (IRP), disaster recovery plan (DR), and your overall IT strategy. Many of those we will discuss in further detail in this IT law guide.
IT services for law offices and the importance of having a custom solution, need to be in harmony. Not all law firms are equal, and so your IT shouldn’t be the same as everyone else’s.
Enhancing Data Security in Legal Firms: A CIO’s Perspective
From a CISO’s viewpoint, I explore strategies for fortifying data protection in law firms, prioritizing client confidentiality. The importance of maintaining client data and GDPR, PCI, and making sure the standards of the Law Society of Ontario are maintained – can’t be undervalued. Data protection is a priority.
There are a few areas that you need to focus on, for securing your client data and internal systems at the law office and home offices.
- Make sure you have the appropriate firewall. Without getting too much into the technical, if your firewall costs less than 2 hours of billable time – you have the wrong one. Set up a Free IT Consultation, to go over your firewall (UTP Firewall) – and I can, or we can work out what you need.
- Set up and use the right remote access software and services, if you’re connecting to your office computer. We suggest you use Splashtop over TeamViewer. You can certainly use a VPN, however, a direct approach works more efficiently, and not using a VPN can close ports on your firewall you don’t want open anyway.
- Multifactor Authentication (MFA) to computer devices that have the availability of access work product. We recommend DUO Mobile. We can set that and monitor that for you, for very little cost. Furthermore, make sure you use MFA to access your email, your Apple ID, and any other sensitive online account.
- Data access management is the next critical aspect of how you set up your IT systems. Make sure that you only give access to documents and data, to those who need it. Long gone are the days when everyone has access to everything.
When it comes to data security and IT services for law offices, it’s important to know that security is critical to keeping the reputation of your firm.
The Importance of Proactive IT Maintenance in Law Offices
I emphasize proactive IT maintenance to prevent downtime, ensuring lawyers have uninterrupted access to critical information. Lawyers are very organized and methodical, and IT services and solutions need to be set up the same way.
Proactive IT services for law offices can be a wow factor when it comes to a firm meeting the demands of its clients. When it comes to ensuring your IT service is proactive, there are many signs and reporting mechanisms that should be in place to keep track of your overall IT health.
At Selenium Group of Companies, we manage law firm clients in such a way that a proactive approach is natural. Here is how we do it;
- Daily and weekly routines and maintenance checks on all systems.
- We educate you and your staff on the latest cyber risks and possible attack vectors.
- We keep up-to-date and informed on all your vendors, and their related technology issues, and making sure your data remains secure.
- We have frequent meetings and update sessions to ensure everything is working as expected.
- We patch and update all your systems on a weekly, and sometimes daily basis.,
As for adding some key takeaways to our IT Services For Law Offices guide, we review the important factors quickly.
- Get custom-made IT services for your law firm.
- Make sure the IT service is proactive, not reactive.
- Set up the right VPN and or Remote work environment.
- Use the least accessible permissions as possible.
- Get an IT consultation before you commit to anything long-term.
At Selenium our phone line is always open to discussing what you need or to ask questions.
Stay In Touch
WIN FREE PEN TEST!
FREE PENETRATION TEST!
We welcome all new subscribers to join our monthly raffle where we provide a comprehensive and FREE penetration test for your perimeter firewall. We’ll be in touch to announce the winner and for you to provide the information we need to perform the test. Good luck!